The Hollings Cancer Center invites breast cancer survivors to enroll in the new Survivors' Fit Club. This 10-week exercise, nutrition, and behavior change program focuses on improved cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, body composition, fatigue, anxiety, depression, self-esteem and several quality of life factors specific to cancer survivors. Some studies also show physically active cancer survivors have a lower risk of cancer recurrence.
The program launched in February 2016 in collaboration with the MUSC Wellness Center. The MUSC Wellness Center staff includes a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist, post-rehab exercise specialist, health coach, cognitive-behavioral therapy specialist and certified personal trainers – all available to participants interested in getting fit for life.
Program Details: September 6 through November 8, 2017
- Individual pre-testing for program eligibility will be held August 30 and 31.
- Individual InBody and Micro-Fit testing with goal setting consultation.
- Individual nutrition consultation to review nutrition questionnaire.
- Two group meetings and physical activity sessions with personal trainers.
- Post-rehab specialist available for consultation if health history or physician clearance requires.
Weeks 2 to 9
- The group will meet with trainers weekly on Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. for a group session at the MUSC Wellness Center.
- Each week the group will meet with various trainers for an outdoor exercise session.
- Group health coaching – three sessions scheduled over the eight week period.
- Group nutrition education weekly with recipe suggestions and cooking demos.
Weeks 2 to 9 continued
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy group session – three sessions scheduled over the eight week period.
- Exercise will be monitored daily for type of activity and minutes of activity. Recommendations: 150 minutes weekly of moderate aerobic activity and two weekly strength training sessions – yoga, flexibility, strength, cardiovascular and balance exercise included.
- Individual post-testing with short and long term goal setting.
- Group exercise sessions with goal setting.
- Program finale.
- Program participants will receive a membership to the MUSC Wellness Center through December 15, 2017.
To learn more about the Survivors' Fit Club, please call 843-792-6184 or email Melanie Slan.
Personalized patient care is at the center of everything we do. And no one tells the story better than our patients themselves. Meet some of our patients and hear about their cancer journey.
Hollings in the Community
At Hollings, we are working to reduce the cancer burden across South Carolina through cancer prevention and education programs, statewide partnerships, and a focus on reaching underserved populations through a variety of programs.
Prevention & Early Detection
Visit the MUSC Health Blog for expert advice on living a healthier lifestyle, learn how MUSC is involved in Charleston community events and hear personal stories from our patients.
MUSC Health Blog